If you are going to invest in heating your pool, then also investing in a pool cover will allow you to spend more time enjoying your pool and less time performing tedious maintenance.
When water is exposed to sunlight it naturally evaporates. Evaporation is by far the largest source of energy loss a swimming pool will experience. Not only do you lose water but you lose huge amounts of heat – all of which means added running costs for you.
Each pool will have an evaporation rate that differs from the next. Factors that influence the evaporation rate can be:
- The pool’s temperature
- The air temperature
- Humidity levels
- The wind speed on the pool surface
If you are fortunate enough to have an indoor pool – then environmental factors do not require consideration. However, evaporation still occurs and you can still lose a lot of energy from your pool. In order to control the humidity inside, you must have room ventilation and to have room ventilation you need to have an air conditioner installed. This adds to your running costs.
By installing a pool cover you can easily minimize evaporation from both outdoor and indoor pools. Covering a pool when it is not in use is the single most effective means of reducing pool heating costs. In fact, you can find that you receive savings of 50%–70%.
Solar Bubble Covers
Solar Bubble Covers drastically reduce heat loss. They work well in both in-ground and above ground pools. They allow some of the sun’s energy to go through the cover and heat the water. As a result, you do not require the swimming pool heater to run as often which provides a significant saving in energy costs. Solar Bubble covers can be cut to fit any shape of pool so if you have a custom made design you can keep your aesthetic and still reap the benefits of having a covered pool.
Benefits of installing a Solar Bubble Cover:
- Saves up to 70% energy costs
- Ultra-absorbent blue blanket allows more solar energy to enter the pool
- Warms pool water by 3 – 5 degrees or more in summer
- Reduces evaporation
- Extends your swimming season: you can swim earlier in spring and later in autumn
- Can be installed on all domestic pools and there is a range available for commercial pool applications
Thermal pool covers hold in the water and prevent it from evaporating. Most thermal pool covers are made of a special thermoplastic material that absorbs sunlight. Thermal pool covers come in a range of colours – or you can choose a transparent cover. The coloured thermal pool covers absorb large amounts of heat energy then transfer the heat to your swimming pool water through conduction. This means that the pool water heats up faster and it remains hot for a longer period of time.
Benefits of installing a Thermal Cover:
- Stops overnight heat loss by 3 to 4 degrees
- If your pool is heated to 30 degrees overnight and you have a thermal cover you will experience a 10% loss in temperature, however, if you do not have a thermal cover you will experience a 43% loss in temperature.
- Can be installed on heated pools, all domestic pools and commercial pools.
- Reduces heat loss, costs and evaporation
Debris Mesh Cover
If your pool is especially prone to a lot of leaves, debris, or unwanted visits from ducks, or you want to close your pool for the winter then a Debris Mesh Cover is for you.
Theirprimary function is to keep leaves and debris from entering your pool. There are no heating benefits to be had from installing a debris mesh cover. As they fit completely over the pool and are secured to the pool surround by detachable straps and fittings, it is near impossible for debris to enter your pool.
Benefits of installing a Debris Mesh Cover:
- Ideal to protect your pool from all debris
- Reduces maintenance
- Tiny holes in the pool mesh allows surface water to drain.
- Lightweight Custom made to any shape
- Helps to reduce chemical use and prevents children falling into pool
- Best used through the winter months to stop twigs and leaves from fouling the pool water
Pool Heating NZ offers a range of pool heat pumps that are efficient, reliable, and simple to operate and use. Let Pool Heating NZ get you into hot water. We are the pool-heating specialists.